Metro Taxi has Colorado’s Largest and Greenest Fleet
In an effort to reduce our carbon footprint, Metro Taxi has converted approximately 15% of our vehicles to hybrid taxis.
On the average, a Metro Taxi drives 70,000 miles per year. Given the mileage driven, just one Metro Taxi converted to a hybrid vehicle is the equivalent of converting five non-commercial vehicles to hybrid automobiles. In the past, Metro Taxi purchased vehicles that are safe and powerful, but get only 12 – 14 miles per gallon. With the switch to hybrids, we are able to increase our fuel efficiency to an incredible 50 – 55 miles per gallon.
Metro Taxi is focused on eco-friendly efforts within our maintenance facility and corporate offices as well. We have a waste oil furnace in our maintenance facility that produces heat from used motor oil and allows us to heat our buildings during the winter without using traditional energy sources (our remaining energy is wind-powered by Excel’s Windsource® program).
Additionally, Metro Taxi replaced all of the windows at our headquarters with energy efficient Low E double-glassed panes. These windows decrease carbon emissions by reducing the energy needs of the entire building throughout the year.
Finally, Metro Taxi has a company-wide recycling program and is focused on using post-consumer office products whenever possible. We are now exploring the best and most efficient ways to utilize solar power and hope to one day power our facilities and plug our hybrid taxis into solar power, creating 100% clean power.
Metro Taxi’s is committed to reducing our carbon footprint, and the results are tangible. We are proud to be part of the solution.
- Metro Taxi has converted approximately 15% of our fleet to hybrids.
- On average, a Metro Taxi travels about 70,000 miles per year.
- Ford Crown Victoria taxis average only 11 miles per gallon.
- Metro Taxi’s Toyota Prius Hybrids average between 50 and 60 miles per gallon.
- Over a year of driving 70,000 miles per car, Metro Taxi estimates a savings of 5,090 gallons of gasoline per vehicle for a total of 285,040 gallons of fuel saved per year.
- With current gas prices of approximately $2.64 per gallon, Metro Taxi saves $13,438 in gasoline per cab, totaling $752,506 in annual savings.
- Given the mileage driven, one Metro Taxi converted to a hybrid vehicle is the equivalent of converting five non-commercial vehicles to hybrid automobiles.
- Our goal is to convert the entire Metro Taxi fleet to environmentally friendly vehicles, which would be the equivalent of removing about 2,500 non-commercial vehicles from the road.